ECOWAS– The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the statutory organ of Government charged with the primary responsibility for the formulation, articulation, conduct, and execution of Nigeria’s foreign policy.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Nigeria’s Statutory Appointee (Commissioner, Department of Internal Services) for 2022 – 2026 term, at the Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
Recruitment: Apply For ECOWAS Job Vacancy
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Interested Nigerian candidates may wish to note that the ECOWAS Department of Internal Services is responsible for the design and formulation of strategies, policies and operational directives for the management of human and material resources as well as the general administration of ECOWAS Institutions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The Office superintends over the recruitment of personnel for ECOWAS Institutions, defines staff roles and responsibilities and ensures the stability of connections (including internet, software subscriptions, etc.).
- lt exercises oversight functions over all administrative, human resource, protocol and conference operations of ECOWAS institutions (the Commission, Parliament, Court, West Africa Health Organisation, GIABA).
- The Office monitors the execution of the budget of all ECOWAS Institutions and agencies and mobilises resources of the Community Levy and Community partner funds;
- lt prepares financial statements, keeps proper financial records and maintains the overall accounting procedures of the organisation;
- The Office also initiates all Community expenditures and supervises ECOWAS procurement processes in accordance with the extant Financial Regulations, Manual of Accounting, Financial Procedures and procurement code;
- The Office equally assists the organs of ECOWAS, including the Council of Ministers and the Administration and Finance Committee, in effectively fulfilling their respective oversight responsibilities;and
- The Office also serves as a member of the ECOWAS Committees for strategic planning and programming.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Interested candidates must have Masters or PhD (or their equivalent) degree in relevant Humanities, Social or Management Sciences discipline from any reputable University;
- Candidates must have a good command of English language (both verbal and written), as well as an international language preferably French language and/or Portuguese;
- Candidates must be tech savvy and those with strong knowledge of ECOLink tool will have an added advantage;
Knowledge of the ECOWAS Commission:
- Candidates will be assessed on the basis of their knowledge of ECOWAS agenda and programmes/projects, particularly institutional reforms.
- Candidates must have managerial working experiences, with at least Ten (10) years of such experience in ECOWAS institution or related fields;
- Must be average in age (maximum of 60 years) to enable he/she shoulder the huge administrative and logistics responsibilities of the office as well as work under intense pressure and deliver results at short notice.
- Dynamic: Candidates are expected to be constructive, positive and service-oriented.
- Commitment to Nigeria’s National and Regional Interest: Candidates will be assessed on their ability to jettison personal interest and focus on the purpose of the ongoing reform of ECOWAS institutions;
- Strength of Character:Only candidates with years of traceable meritorious record of good character conduct, prudence and integrity from previous places of work will be considered.
The Evaluation Process
- The assessment will be conducted in line with applicable internal regulations of the ECOWAS Commission;
- Applicants are required to provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile;
- Applicants under consideration for selection may be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in their application;
- Successful applicants will be shortlisted for further screening by the ECOWAS Ministerial Screening Committee.
Condition of Service
- The condition of service is in line with ECOWAS remuneration for Statutory Appointees and Staff Regulations.
Application Closing Date
13th December, 2021 4:00pm (WAT).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a copy of their Curriculum Vitae accompanied with a Covering Letter highlighting their relevant experiences, skills and competencies to: [email protected] and [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Submit Hard copies to:
The Communication Officer, ECOWAS National Unit,
34 floor, West Wing,
Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Central Business District,
The Permanent Mission
of Nigeria to the ECOWAS Commission,
Plot 114, Yakubu Gowon Crescent,