Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, Saturday 19th November 2022, can be accessed below.
Below are today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The United Nations has announced the release of $10.5 million US dollars (about N4.6 billion) for flood response in Nigeria. The UN, in a statement on Friday, said the amount will be used to provide assistance to people affected and left vulnerable by floods across the country, including those already ravaged by insurgency in the North-East.
3. Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has commended President Muhammadu Buhari for approving all the monies accruable to the Niger Delta States since 1999. Wike made the commendation while speaking at the commissioning of the Doctor Nabo Graham Douglas Law School built by the Rivers State government on Friday.
5. The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Dr. Iyiochia Ayu has assured Nigerians that the presidential candidate of the party, Atiku Abubakar will hit the ground running upon declaration as the president of Nigeria in 2023. Ayu made this assurance while speaking at the official commissioning of the Peoples Democratic Institute (PDI), at Asokoro, Abuja, on Friday.
6. The Federal Government has blamed the menace of crude oil theft for the worsening unemployment situation in the country. Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, stated this in his opening remarks at the 8th Meeting of the National Employment Council in Abuja.
7. Edo State government on Friday warned ritualists to stay away from the State secretariat in Benin. Commissioner for information, Mr Chris Nehikhare, told newsmen in Benin on Friday that the government was particularly irked by the slaughtering of ritual animals at the State secretariat by people of Irhirhi community.
8. A former Commissioner for Rural Development in Enugu State, Hon. Gab Onuzulike was killed yesterday evening by unknown gunmen. It was gathered that Onuzulike, who was also a former Chairman of Oji River Local Government Area, was shot dead alongside his elder brother, Elvis Onuzulike on Friday.
9. An FCT High Court has discharged and acquitted a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir Lawal, and five others of N544million grass-cutting contract scandal. Justice Charles Agbaza on Friday held that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) failed to establish a prima facie case against Lawal and others.
10. No fewer than 20 criminal suspects have been arrested and paraded by the Anambra State Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng, at the force headquarters in Awka, on Friday. Some of the suspects confessed to various crimes before the police and journalists during interrogations on how they perpetrated their dastard acts.