Crime
Update: Tinubu To Meet Trump Over Alleged Christian Genocide In Nigeria
President Tinubu is set to meet U.S. President Donald Trump in the coming days to decisively address and reconcile differing positions on claims that terrorist attacks in Nigeria are directed exclusively at Christians.
Daniel Bwala, Special Adviser to the President on Policy Communication, disclosed this in a post on X following Trump’s recent comments accusing the Nigerian government of ignoring attacks on Christians.
He emphasized that such issues affect citizens of all faiths and none.
In a post on his official X handle on Sunday,@BwalaDaniel, who serves as Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Communications, said both leaders share a commitment to fighting terrorism.
He noted that Trump had previously supported Nigeria by authorizing the sale of arms for counterinsurgency operations.
At the same time, President Tinubu has, in his words, “adequately utilized” those resources with “massive results.”
“Both President @officialABAT and President @realDonaldTrump have shared interests in the fight against insurgency and all forms of terrorism against humanity.
“President Trump has assisted Nigeria a lot by authorizing the sale of arms to Nigeria, and President Tinubu has adequately utilized the opportunity in the fight against terrorism, for which we have massive results to show for it.
“As for the differences as to whether terrorists in Nigeria target only Christians or in fact all faiths and no faiths, the differences, if they exist, would be discussed and resolved by the two leaders when they meet in the coming days, either in State House or White House.”. He added.
Recall that Trump recently threatened military action against Nigeria, warning that the United States could suspend aid to the country over alleged persecution of Christians.
Trump’s threat follows weeks-long accusations by a US lawmaker, Riley Moore, who alleged “systematic persecution and slaughter of Christians” in Nigeria and called the country the deadliest place in the world for followers of the faith, a claim the federal government has repeatedly debunked.
In a statement on October 6, Moore urged Secretary of State Marco Rubio to take immediate diplomatic action and called for Nigeria’s redesignation as a Country of Particular Concern (CPC) and for the suspension of arms sales until the Nigerian government demonstrates a “tangible commitment” to ending the violence.
His statement sparked a lot of debate on the veracity of his claims.
Consequently, on Friday, Trump declared Nigeria a ‘country of particular concern’ in response to allegations of a Christian genocide in the country.
He wrote, “Christianity is facing an existential threat in Nigeria. Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter.
I am hereby making Nigeria a ‘country of particular concern.’
“But that is the least of it. When Christians, or any such group, are slaughtered like is happening in Nigeria (3,100 versus 4,476 Worldwide), something must be done!
“I am asking Congressman Riley Moore, together with Chairman Tom Cole and the House Appropriations Committee, to immediately look into this matter and report back to me.”
On Saturday, the Republican leader further said he has asked the Pentagon to map out a possible plan of attack.
“If the Nigerian Government continues to allow the killing of Christians, the USA will immediately stop all aid and assistance to Nigeria, and may very well go into that now disgraced country, ‘guns-a-blazing,’ to completely wipe out the Islamic Terrorists who are committing these horrible atrocities,” he wrote on Truth Social.
“I am hereby instructing our Department of War to prepare for possible action. If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet, just like the terrorist thugs attack our CHERISHED Christians,” he added.

