Metro
Police Declare Sowore Wanted
The Lagos State Police Command has declared human rights activist Omoyele Sowore wanted for allegedly plotting to disrupt public peace in the state.
Commissioner of Police, Olohundare Jimoh, announced this on Monday while addressing journalists in Lagos.
“I hereby, as the Commissioner of Police of the Lagos Police Command, declare Sowore wanted. “He is wanted for causing a disturbance of public peace and for acts to commit a serious felony by planning to obstruct traffic on the Third Mainland Bridge,” Jimoh said.
He said the police had uncovered plans to cause hardship for Lagos residents and visitors through the proposed protest.
“We will not allow this to happen. We are closing in on him wherever he is. He should come down and face the law,” the CP warned.
The commissioner also said the Command had already arrested 13 suspects connected to the planned demonstration.
He added that the planned protest was unnecessary as the affected Oworonshoki residents had been compensated by the government.
“Those concerned have been paid compensation and continue to live peacefully.
Sowore’s attempt to instigate violence in Lagos will not be tolerated,” he said.
Jimoh urged Lagosians to remain calm and continue their daily activities without fear.
“Let him put his feet on the ground. The police have coverage everywhere. The same way we located him in Abuja, he will face the law here too,” he added.
Recall that Sowore had earlier vowed to stage a protest over the recent demolitions in Oworonshoki shortly after his release from detention.
Meanwhile, the Lagos State Police Command dismissed reports alleging that officers attacked residents during the demolition exercise.
In a statement signed by spokesperson Abimbola Adebisi, the Command described such claims as false and misleading.
“The reports are entirely false and mischievously published to mislead the public,” the statement read.
The police clarified that the demolition was conducted by the Lagos State Department of Urban Development and Planning in collaboration with the State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences.
Also reacting, the Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Lawal Pedro, SAN, denied allegations that the government disobeyed a court order.

