Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, Sunday 19th March 2023, can be accessed below.
Below are today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has arrested four vote-buyers in Sokoto and Katsina states during the governorship and state Houses of Assembly elections on Saturday. The spokesperson for the ICPC, Azuka Ogugua, revealed this on Saturday night in a statement.
2. Governor Babagana Zulum, candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in Saturday’s election, has secured the highest number of votes cast in Monguno Local Government Area of the state. While Zulum polled a total of 17,187 votes in the LGA, Mohammed Jajari, his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) rival garnered just 280 votes, leaving a margin of 16,907 votes.
3. Peter Obi, Presidential Candidate of Labour Party, has reached out to his supporters who were attacked during Saturday’s governorship and house of assembly elections. According to Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour, Labour Party gubernatorial candidate in the state, an agent of the party was gunned down during the election.
4. A former councillor of Getso ward, Ibrahim Nakuzama, has been reportedly shot dead over alleged ballot box snatching. Nakuzama was said to have been gunned down by security operatives in Gwarzo local government area of Kano, on Saturday.
6. Fire on Saturday razed down parts of the second market in the metropolis, Gamboru Market, in Borno State. This is exactly three weeks after a fire completely razed the largest market in the state, Monday Market, also located in the metropolis.
8. Governorship and state Houses of Assembly candidates of the different political parties, their supporters and other stakeholders are in anxious wait for the results of the polls which were held on Saturday, even as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, began uploading of the results on its results viewing portal.
9. A former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has said the All Progressives Congress in Rivers State was not contesting against the Peoples Democratic Party, but against the Independent National Electoral Commission and the Police. Amaechi said this while addressing journalists after casting his vote at Ward 8, Unit 17 in Ubima Ikwerre Local Government Area of the state.
10. A member of the All Progressives Congress has been shot dead in Cross River State. It was gathered that the incident happened on Saturday morning at Ogoja in the northern senatorial district.